When should I consider a care home?

It is never too early, nor too late to think when you or a relative may need to move into a care home. At Yarborough House we firmly believe it’s all in the planning. It is a sad truth that an unfortunate incident may lead to a person realising that they can no longer cope. We always encourage early visits where possible, come and see what we can offer! If you are in a situation where you need to look at an emergency placement, do not fear our qualified staff are able to deal with emergency admissions; all you need to do is call.

What levels of care do you provide?

We provide Residential Care for residents over 65 years of age. As per registration we are able to accept residents in Older Persons (OP) category and residents requiring Dementia Care (DE). We do not provide nursing care.

I am unsure what sort of care level I need?

Your care manager or social worker (Local Authority) should be able to assist you with this. They shall carry out an assessment and determine what level of care is needed. If it is residential, then our qualified staff would be more than happy visit you or your family member to carry out what we call an assessment of needs. Simply put, this is just to ensure we can fully meet you or your relatives needs.

Do you accept local authority funded residents?

Yes, we are happy to welcome both private and local authority funded residents.

Are you registered with the Care Quality Commission?

Yes, our full registration details are available on the Care Quality Commission website. Alternatively, our registration certificates are always prominently displayed at the entrance of each home.

Can I visit before moving in?

Yes, all you have to do is call us and we shall arrange a time to come in. Should you wish to move in for a trial stay, we are more than happy to assist. After this period, you are able to decide whether you would like to take up permanent residency.

I am moving into a Yarborough House, will someone help?

Of course, we are happy to assist as much as we can. We shall work with both you and your family to ensure the move is as smooth as possible.

Can I bring my own furniture and personalise my room?

Yes, we encourage our residents to make the room individual to them. We want you to feel at home.

I have special dietary needs, can you help?

Yes, our catering staff continue to receive extensive training in providing delicious home cooked meals for a wide range of dietary needs.

What activities are on offer?

We employ specialist activities co-ordinators. These staff are on hand to offer one to one and group activity exercises. We have a general activities timetable so residents are able to pick what they might like to partake in. Suggestions are always welcomed.

Are the staff trained to a certain level?

Yes, all of our staff are at least either qualified or working towards an NVQ in Health & Social Care Level 2, though many have already exceeded this. We also continue to provide a variety of training courses throughout the year, to ensure that all staff are more than competent to provide the highest levels of care at all times.

Do you provide Day Care services?

Yes, we have introduced a special day care service to offer relief to carers, and allow elderly members of the community to associate and enjoy time with likeminded people. Offering a range of activities, delicious home cooked meals and where required personal care services.

I have more questions, what can I do?

We are more than happy to address any further questions or concerns. You can either send us an email to, home@grimsbycare.com and we will endeavour to reply within 3 working days, alternatively feel free to call us on 01472 355 791.